I Heart Faces~Best Photo of 2010

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Do you know where your food really comes from

I'm lucky because Emma always takes her afternoon nap during Oprah, so I have a chance to have some time to myself.

Today on Oprah they are talking about the American diet and where our food comes from. They made a good point, pay more for healthy food now or pay later for health care. I personally choose to spend a little more on my food since in the long run I'll be a healthier person. I am couponing, but I'm still buying healthy foods. Oprah talked to Author Michael Pollan and he has several rules when it comes to picking foods.

1. Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize
2. Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third grader could not pronounce
3. Eat only food that will eventually rot
4. Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself
5. Only eat meat that's eating well itself

Oprah also has Alicia Silverstone on who has a new book "The Kind Diet." She has embraced the vegan diet and feels great. Pretty much, no meat, dairy or processed foods. She now says she feels her best and looks her best.

I'm always looking for new ways to eat better and feel better, so I'm open to improvement. Maybe I'll go back to work just so I can eat a carrot from Whole Foods once a month.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha. i watched this episode today too! i actually order alicia's book. i have so many stinkin food allergies that i thought it would hurt to at least try it for a little bit and see how i felt.

    also, your "rule" #5 is a little off...or else you you'd be eating cows that were eating cows. I think it was something like "only eat meat that's eating well itself"....so the cow would be eating grass instead of corn (we all know my opinion on corn)!

    i looked up the notes from the ask the audience portion and here are two websites to look up healthy meat and local farmers
    eatwild.com and eatwellguide.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened to have watched Food Inc. this past weekend- SO good & challenging. Definitely made me want to start buying grass-fed meat more frequently than I do.

    ReplyDelete